Get a Voki now!

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Summer 2011


Now that summer is rapidly approaching, I am beginning to start my ‘To-Do list’. There are many places I want to visit and activities that I want to do. Here are some:
1.       The Hamptons: Every year I drive out to the Hamptons with my friends for the day. There is a spot located in East Quogue that we visit every summer where we listen to music, hang out in the sun, and enjoy each other’s company. These days always are my favorite memories of summer. However, this summer I want to spend a weekend in the Hamptons. I am currently researching hotels for Memorial Day Weekend, but I cannot believe how expensive it is.
2.       The Jersey Shore: I am not going to lie when I tell you I am not influenced by the television show “The Jersey Shore”, but I feel like everyone has to have a jersey shore experience. When I was younger, my parents always took my brother and me to the jersey shore for long weekends. We would go with big groups of family friends, and play on the beach all day. These weekends will always remain an exciting memory in my head. This summer I want to relive those weekends, but only with my friends. Maybe if I am lucky I will meet Pauly D J
3.       Baseball Games: Every summer, my family and I get tickets to a Mets game. It always turns out to be an adventure. Last year, my mom and I packed up food to tailgate and we were off. After hours of traffic we finally arrive. Dad pays for parking and we find a spot. After we finish eating and get ready to walk over to the stadium, it starts torrentially down pouring. They inform us that the game will be postponed to the following day. Although this story doesn’t seem so adventurous, sitting in the car with father screaming and cursing the entire way there and back made it a whole other story. Despite last year, I am looking forward to it this year.
4.       Concerts: Last summer I wanted to go to a concert, but none of my friends wanted to go. This year I am not taking “NO” for an answer. Jones Beach recently revealed their summer concerts and I was excited to see that The GooGoo Dolls were playing. This will definitely be on my summer ‘To-Do List’.
Although I am sure I will have many other things on my ‘To-Do List’ for summer 2011, this is only the beginning. Other things include, lying on the beach, reading a good book, dinner on the nautical mile, and many more. I would love to hear what everyone else has planned for summer. What’s on your list?
Vocabulary
a.       Approaching: in the future, upcoming
b.      Memories: recalls, remembrances, or recollections
c.       Expensive: costs a lot of money
d.      Tailgate: before a game or concert, people sit in the back of their cars and eat food, drink, barbeque, and talk with friends.
e.      Torrentially down pouring: heavy rain, a violent storm
f.        Inform: notify, update
g.       Revealed: publicized, uncovered
Exercise
Answer the following questions
1.       What are my favorite memories of summer?
2.       Where am I looking to go for Memorial Day weekend?
3.       Am I influenced by anything to have the desire to go to the jersey shore this summer?
4.       If I am lucky, who will I meet this summer at the jersey shore?
5.       Am I a Met or Yankee fan?
6.       What band am I looking forward to seeing this year at the Jones Beach Theatre?
7.       Did I go to any concerts last summer?
8.       What are some other things I hope to do this summer?
9.       What are some places you would like to visit this summer? Why?
Grammar Point
The future tense
The simple future has two different forms, “will” and “be going to”. Although they can sometimes be used interchangeable, they often express two different meanings.
(will + verb)
“will” often suggests that a speaker will do something voluntarily. A voluntarily action is one the speaker offers to do for someone else. Often, we use “will” to respond to someone else’s complaint or request for help.
It is also used to express promise
Examples:
a.       You will help him later.
b.      Will you help him later?
Or
(am/is/are + going to + verb)
“be going to” expresses that something is a plan. It expresses the idea that a person intendeds to do something in the future. It does no matter whether the plan is realistic or not.
It also expresses prediction
a.       You are going to meet Jane tonight.
b.      Are you going to meet Jane tonight?


Now that you know what the future tense is and how to use it write some examples. Write 3 examples using “will” and 3 examples with “be going”. Before doing this, underline all the examples from my story in the future tense.

No comments:

Post a Comment