Get a Voki now!

Monday, May 9, 2011

Food Inc.

Well I am excited that this will be my last blog. Although I did enjoy this assignment, it is getting difficult to think of things to share with everyone. Before I wrap up the blog assignment, I do have an interesting story.
My mom has been talking about this movie “Food Inc.”. Has anyone heard of it? Her coworkers were saying that it’s a great movie to make you more conscious about the foods we are eating. Many of her friends have gone vegetarian or vegan after watching this movie. They warned us that it can get a bit graphic, but I decided to watch it anyway. As it is, I am very conscious of the foods I eat. I always try to stick to healthy choices. After watching this movie, I was so disgusted; I did not want to eat ANYTHING! Throughout the movie, they take you through the slaughterhouses and show you how the animals are kept. They explain the process of the foods that they force feed the animals in order to make them grow quickly. Not only was this challenging to watch, but when they explained how almost everything we eat is made out of corn, it really gets you thinking. The food corporation is so corrupt and there is nothing that we, as a society, or the government can do about it.
After watching the movie, I stopped eating meat for a week. The thought of the poor animals and their living conditions, and the visuals of the slaughterhouses, was just heartbreaking. Today was the first day I decided to eat meat. Going vegetarian is definitely something I am considering; however, it is not something that I would want to do on my own. I would consult a doctor first. During the one week without me, I could not believe how tired I felt. Even still today, I had no desire to eat meat, but I felt it was necessary in order to maintain my energy levels. I do suggest this movie to anyone that is interested in this topic. In fact, everyone should watch this movie to make you more aware of the products that we are consuming.  
Well, that is all! I hope you all enjoyed the ESL blog. I certainly enjoyed reading the posts. It was a great semester and I truly enjoyed the grammar class. I hope to see some of you next semester J Enjoy your summer!

Vocabulary
1.       Conscious: to be aware of; mindful of something
2.       Vegetarian: someone who does not eat meat
3.       Vegan: someone who does not eat meat or any product that is produced by an animal
4.       Graphic: explicit, visual and vivid
5.       Disgusted: repulsed, sickened, and turned off
6.       Slaughterhouse: an area where they kill the animals and package them to sell as food
7.       Challenging: difficult; perplexing
8.       Corrupt: unethical, immoral, and dishonest
9.       Consult: to refer or check
10.   Consuming: taking in
Exercise
1.       What was the name of the movie I watched?                                     a. yes
2.       How long did I not eat meat for?                                                          b. true
3.       Would I consider going vegetarian?                                                     c.no
4.       What is all the food made of today?                                                    d.corn
5.       The animals lived in great conditions!                                                  e.false
6.       How many more blogs are there?                                                         f. dirt
                                                                                                                   g. Food Inc.
                                                                                                                   h. Fast Food Nation
                                                                                                                    i. 1 week
                                                                                                                    j. 5
                                                                                                                    k. 0
Grammar Point
Different types of sentences.
There are 4 types of sentences
a.       Simple sentences: simple sentences use ONE independent clause
a.       Examples: Jane opened the book.
b.      Charlie walked the dog.
c.       Mom made cookies.
d.      Jackie watched television.
b.      Compound sentences: compound sentences use TWO or more independent clauses. To combine these clauses, a coordinating conjunction must be used. FANBOYS is a great way to remember some conjunctions (For, and, nor, but, or, yet, so). If a FANBOYS is not used, a semicolon can be used to link the clauses.
a.       Examples: The family attended church, but the youngest child was sick.
b.      Jack and Jill went to the well, so they could fill their pail with water.
c.       Tommy was sickly, for he was undernourished.
c.       Complex sentences: complex sentences use ONE independent and ONE dependent clause. To connect these clauses, a subordinating conjunction must be used. AAAWWUBBIS is a way to remember some of the conjuctions (as, although, after, while, when, unless, before, because, if, since).
a.       Examples: He went to China because he wanted to learn Chinese.
b.      If you finish early, please come over.
c.       Before he handed in his work, he checked it for errors.
d.      Compound/Complex: Compound/complex sentences use TWO or more independent clauses and ONE or more dependent clauses.
a.       Examples: Here is my paycheck, and I hope you won’t spend it all because we need to pay the oil bill.
b.      Because she dressed very elegantly, she was invited to all the parties in town, and she never tired of dancing.
Now that you know what the four types of sentences are, create one of each.

1 comment:

  1. Great entry. I haven't seen the film, but I have heard about it. I don't eat meat for about half the year because in the Orthodox Church there is vegetarian and vegan fasting, usually the latter, before Christmas, Easter, two other holidays, and every Wed. and Fri. Vegan is very hard. I can do w/o meat, but I find it hard to do w/o milk, cheese and eggs. But I don't think I can go out and shoot my own beef, so I am stuck with eating what is in the store.

    ReplyDelete