Get a Voki now!

Sunday, April 10, 2011

My Modeling Debut


Yesterday I had my first modeling debut and I must say I had a great time. I have never modeled before and when I got offered the opportunity, I took it with open arms. One of my old friends started her own makeup business. To promote her makeup designing and airbrushing services she held a bathing suit shoot. When she asked me, I immediately responded by saying “YES”. I am very interested in makeup and enjoy learning new techniques.
When the morning of the shoot came I was so nervous. The one thought that came to my mind was “What was I thinking? There is no way I am standing on a beach in a bathing suit and getting photographed!”  Despite the nervousness of being seen in a bathing suit, I had an exciting morning. Being able to have my makeup done was a great experience. After all, the last time I got to do that was the morning of my high school prom 5 years ago. I also had a wonderful time meeting the other models. I wasn’t the only one who nervous for the shoot. After sharing ideas of fun poses and comparing ourselves to Victoria’s Secret models, it was time to shine.
With all the positive energy that the girls were giving each other it made the modeling experience a wonderful one. It has always been a dream of mine to do something like that. I think the society that our generation has grown up in, young girls are always being influenced by the media, fashion and beauty. To get a taste of that lifestyle for one day was thrilling and I am happy that I got to experience it.
               
Vocabulary
1.       Debut: coming out, presentation or introduction
2.       Promote: to help or sponsor
3.       Techniques: methods or practices, skills
4.       Photographed: photo’d, take pictures of
5.       Poses: postures, positions; stances
6.       Comparing: Relating, sharing, matching; paralleling
7.       Generation: Age group
8.       Thrilling: Exciting, delightful and stimulating
Exercise
After reading the excerpt, answer the following questions to the best of your ability.
1.       By reading the short story, would you think that the narrator models on a regular basis? ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2.       Who was the narrator modeling for? ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
3.       Why was the narrator nervous? ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
4.       All in all, was the experience a positive or negative one? ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
5.       How can you relate to this experience? Is there any experience similar to this that you would like to be involved in? ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Grammar Point
Contractions
A contraction is a shortening of a word, syllable, or word group by omission of internal letters. In a contraction, an apostrophe takes place of the missing letter. Some contractions are: I'm (I am), can't (cannot), how's (how is), and Ma'am (Madam).
By looking at the following website, you can view several charts of the common contractions used in the English language. After becoming familiar with the website, complete the following exercise. http://www.enchantedlearning.com/grammar/contractions/
Pick out the contraction in the excerpt above. Why was it used? __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Write the contraction to the following words
1.       I have
2.       Was not
3.       What will
4.       Has not
5.       How is
6.       We had
7.       It will
8.       Will not
9.       They will
10.   When is

No comments:

Post a Comment